August 25, 2007
Yesterday we launched the ability to change page backgrounds. There are several different background that can be selected and applied to a particular page or to the entire project.
Look for the “backgrounds” button in the toolbar near the bottom of the application near the “add text” icon.
When you click on the button a window will open up that will allow you to select from several recommended and other backgrounds. These backgrounds can be applied to the page you are on or to the entire project. If you would prefer to not have a background at all just click on the “No background” link.
We hope you find this feature helpful in providing more variety to your books.
August 4, 2007
We have had a lot of interest and many requests for allowing Ancestry Press users to order professionally printed and bound books of their projects. We are pleased to announce that we are in the final stages of testing this book printing capability.
It has taken a lot of hard work but we expect to launch this feature within a couple of weeks. So if you plan on ordering a book you might want to spend the next couple of weeks making any final changes and updates to your projects prior to placing that order.
August 4, 2007
This week we launched several new features that we hope you will find helpful. Here are details on some of those features.
- The Ancestry Press tool now scales to the size of your browser. In the past the tool opened up at a fixed size which caused a couple of problems. 1) For those using lower screen resolutions the tool was being cut off and many didn’t see the navigation page icons at the bottom of the tool. 2) For those using higher resolutions the tool only opened up into a small section of their screen. Both of these problems have been fixed with this launch.
- Now you can delete photos you have uploaded through Ancestry Press. Go to the uploaded photos tab and right click on any of the images that you have uploaded. A menu will appear where you can select “delete image” to remove that image from the photo tray. NOTE: If you don’t see the menu you may need to update to the latest version of the flash player 9,0,45,0.
- We added a new combination tree and now tree pages automatically pull in photos for each person in the tree. When you auto-create a project you can select from two different family tree formats – a standard pedigree and a combination tree. The combination tree contains ancestors as well as descendents. Both trees automatically pull in photos for all the people in the tree if they have been uploaded to Ancestry.com and selected as a primary photos.
- We have updated the text editing menu bar. We have updated the text editing menu bar to included several new fonts and the ability to pick from a variety of font colors. In addition we have added bold, italic and underline icons.
- You can now edit multiple objects at the same time. Have you ever wanted to add borders to several images at the same time or to change the font or font size across an entire page? Well now you can. When you select multiple objects on a page at the same time by dragging or CTRL-Clicking you will be able to edit them all at once. For instance, if you select 3 different photos you will be able to scale, rotate, change the color, add a border, etc. to all the photos simultaneously!
Well that’s some of the changes we made in this last release. Check it out and let us know what you think.
June 14, 2007
Printing without a background has been one of the most requested Ancestry Press features.
Today, thanks to your feedback we have launched the ability to print without a background. To take advantage of this new feature:
- Click on the “print preview” button at the top of the application
- Uncheck the “print with background” check box just to the right of the “print page” button
- Print the pages as normal
May 18, 2007
Contrary to our recent email, it appears that updating to Adobe flash player version 9,0,45,0 will not necessarily fix the “A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 9 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?” warning issue. Updating to the latest version appears to have solved the problem for some people but many continue to see the same warning.
We are working to find a solution for this problem. Thanks for you patience. If you do get the warning you may want to try selecting the “No” button as some people have found that doing so allows them to continue working without the application freezing up.
5/29/07 – NOTE: This problem was resolved last week except for in some rare cases. Please notify us via the Ancestry Press feedback if you get this Flash Player script warning.
April 30, 2007
First off – thanks for trying Ancestry Press.
It’s been over 2 weeks now since we launched our beta. We’ve gotten a lot of valuable feedback and appreciate your patience as we work hard to iron out the kinks and improve this product as quickly as possible.
In this post I will list some of your most common requests, questions and problems along with some solutions and fixes. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to respond directly to all of your emails but we are logging your feedback and using it to guide us as we fix problems and add new features.
Here is a brief summary of the most common feedback that we have received so far.
- I want to be able to print all my pages at once instead of one page at a time. Status – We are currently working on a solution to allow you to print multiple pages at a time. Later this summer we will also be offering the ability to have your books professionally printed and bound.
- My pages are being cropped off when I print them. Status – We have a fix for this problem which is being tested and should be launched this week.
- I’d like to be able to select more than 4 generations. Status - Books are actually not limited to 4 generations nor are they limited to a particular tree. Once your book pages are generated, you can add more pages for anyone you want from any of your trees. In the future we intend to offer users more flexibility in selecting the number of generations that are automatically included in a book.
- I get the message that I have selected an invalid starting person. Status – This problem should be fixed now. If you see any lingering issues please let us know.
- I’d like to be able to turn off the background or change backgrounds. Status – We are in the process of creating the ability to select from a variety of different backgrounds (one of which will be a white or blank background). In the meantime, depending on how long it takes us to build this functionality, we may need to build a way for you to turn off the existing background.
- Don’t show alternate timeline events and residence events are not being displayed. Status – Alternate timeline events should no longer be displayed automatically and residence events should be added shortly.
- I cannot open or view a book that I’ve created. Status – This may be caused for a number of different reasons. Possible Solutions – There are 2 main ways to get back to a project once you have created one, 1) Click on the name of the project or on the “see all projects” link under the Ancestry Press Projects section under the My Ancestry tab on Ancestry.com 2) Go to www.AncestryPress.com and click on the My Projects tab. You can then click on the project name in the left hand column or click on the edit link by the name of your project in the Current Projects Section. If you still can’t view and edit your book you probably have a pop-up blocker that is stopping your project from opening. Turn off your pop-up blocker for AncestryPress.com and try again. If you continue to have problems please send us feedback and describe your problem in as much detail as you can.
We will begin to provide more frequent updates to this forum so please check back regularly. We recently added another page for user submitted hints and we’d encourage you to take advantage of this page to help other users make the most out of Ancestry Press.
April 10, 2007
It’s Tuesday evening, the night before we launch, and I’m writing a quick post to welcome you to Ancestry Press beta.
We hope you’ll soon discover how easily you can create printable pages and books from the records, photos and other information that you’ve been adding to your trees on Ancestry.com. We’re excited about the potential of Ancestry Press and have a great vision of what it can become.
Although we have our own ideas of what Ancestry Press should be we want to hear yours. What would you like to be able to do? Let us know what you like and don’t like and tell us about any bugs you find because we’re listening and together I believe we can build something great.
I am looking forward to personally reading all of your comments and suggestions so we can use your feedback as we plan and incorporate future enhancements.